PET for Ph.D. in Management – Savitribai Phule Pune University
|Start Date of Online Application Form||26th July 2017|
|End Date of Online Application Form||21st September 2017|
|Date of online M. Phil/Ph.D. Entrance Exam||29th October 2017|
|Date of Result||29th October 2017|
- Foundations of Research:
Research:- Definition, Objectives of Business Research, Characteristics of good research, Research applications in functional areas of Business.
Concept of Scientific Enquiry: – Formulation of Research Problem, Research Question, Investigation Question.Steps in Research Process.
Research Proposal:- Elements of a Research Proposal, Drafting a Research Proposal, Evaluating a research proposal.
- Research Design:
Concept, Features of a good research design.
Qualitative research and Quantitative research approaches, Comparison of both approaches.
Exploratory Research Design: Concept, Types: Qualitative techniques -Projective Techniques,Depth Interview, Experience Survey, Focus Groups, Observation.
Descriptive Research Designs: Concept, types and uses. Concept of Cross-sectional and Longitudinal Research.
Experimental Design: Concept of Cause and effect, Causal relationships, Concept of Independent & Dependent variables, Concomitant variable, Extraneous variable, Treatment, Control group.
Hypothesis: Qualities of a good hypothesis, types of hypotheses, framing Null Hypothesis & Alternative Hypothesis. Concept of Hypothesis Testing.
- Measurement & Data:
Concept of Measurement: Problems in measurement in research – Validity and Reliability. Levels of measurement – Nominal, Ordinal, Interval, Ratio.
Attitude Scaling Techniques: Concept of Scale, Rating Scales: Likert Scales, Semantic Differential Scales, Constant Sum Scales, Graphic Rating Scales .Ranking Scales: Paired Comparison & Forced Ranking.
Types of Data – Secondary Data: Definition, Sources, Characteristics, Issues to be considered for secondary data, sufficiency, adequacy, reliability, consistency; Data mining, Big data.
Types of Data – Primary Data: Definition, advantages and disadvantages over secondary data,
Data collection Methods: Questionnaire, Schedule, Personal Interviews, Telephonic survey, Email/Internet survey, Focus group study.
Basic Concepts: Defining the Universe, Concepts of Statistical Population, Sample, Characteristics of a good sample. Sampling Frame, Sampling errors, Non Sampling errors, Methods to reduce the errors.
Probability Sample: Simple Random Sample, Systematic Sample, Stratified Random Sample, Area Sampling & Cluster Sampling.
Non Probability Sample: Judgment Sampling, Convenience Sampling, Purposive Sampling, Quota Sampling & Snowballing Sampling methods. Determining size of the sample – considerations in sampling and sample size.
- Data Analysis and Interpretation & Report Writing:
Data Analysis : Editing, Coding, Univariate analysis – Tabular representation of data, frequency tables, Construction of frequency distributions and their analysis in the form of measures of central tendency ,Mean, Median and Mode; their relative merits and demerits.
Graphical Representation of Data: Appropriate Usage of Bar charts, Pie charts, Histogram, Leaf and Stem, Candle stick, Box plots.
Bivariate Analysis: Cross tabulations, Use of percentages, Bivariate Correlation Analysis – meaning & types of correlation, .Karl Pearson’s coefficient of correlation and Spearman’s Rank Correlation: Scatter plots, Chi-square test including testing hypothesis of association, association of attributes.
Linear Regression Analysis: Meaning and two lines of regression; relationship between correlation and regression co-efficient.
Test of Significance: Small sample tests: t (Mean, proportion) and F tests, Z test, Non parametric tests: Binomial test of proportion, Randomness test; Analysis of Variance: One way and two way Classifications.
Research Report: Research Ethics, Structure of Research report, Report writing and Presentation. Referencing styles and citation.
Subject Concerned Syllabus
Unit-I : Managerial Economics
Demand Analysis, Production Function and Production Theory, Cost-Output Relations, Market Structures, Pricing Techniques, Demand – Cost – Profit – Forecasting, Macro-Economics, National Income Concepts, Economic policy – Export import Policy, Business Environment
Unit-II : Principles and Practices of Management and Organizational Behavior
Functions of Management, Concept and significance of organizational behavior, Theories of organizational behavior. Organizational Structure. Individual behavior – Personality-Perception-Values-Attitudes; Group Behavior-Group dynamics, Teamwork. Motivation- Types and Theories of Motivation. Leadership – Types and Theories. Learning – Types and Barriers. Conflict Management – Types. Change Management. Communication – Types and Barriers. Organizational Development – Theories, Intervention and Models.
Unit-III : Human Resource Management
Concepts and Perspectives in HRM- Human Resource Planning- Objectives, Process and Techniques. Job analysis-Job Description- Job Evaluation. Recruitment and Selection and Exit Policy. Training and Development- Types, Training Need Analysis and methods. Performance Appraisal and Evaluation Types and Methods. Compensation Management and Wage Determination. Industrial Relations and Trade Unions. Dispute Resolution and Grievance Management. Labour Welfare
Unit-IV : Financial Management
Financial Management-Nature and Scope. Long Term and Short Term financing instruments. Time Value of Money and cost of Capital. Capital Structure. Capital Budgeting and Risk analysis. Working Capital Management. Dividend policy, determinants. Financial analysis, Ratio analysis and Cash flow statements.
Unit-V : Marketing Management
Marketing Orientation, Core Concepts in Marketing-Value, Satisfaction, Marketing Mix. Marketing Environment and Environment Scanning; Marketing Information Systems and Marketing Research; Understanding Consumer and Industrial Markets; Demand Measurement and Forecasting; Market Segmentation-Targeting and Positioning; Product Decisions, Product mix. Product Life Cycle; New Product Development; Branding and Packaging; Pricing Methods and Strategies. Promotion Decisions-Promotion mix; Advertising; Personal Selling; Channel Management; Vertical Marketing Systems; Evaluation and Control of Marketing Effort; Marketing of Services; Customer Relation Management Digital Marketing, e-commerce-B2B, B2C.
Unit-VI : Production Operations Management
Role and Scope of Production Management; Faculty Location; Layout Planning and Analysis; Production Planning and Control-Production Process Analysis; Demand Forecasting for Operations; Determinants of Product mix; Production Scheduling; Work measurement; Time and Motion Study; Statistical Quality Control. Role and Scope of Operations Research; Linear Programming; Transportation Model; Inventory Control; PERT/CPM. Concept of Supply Chains, Responsive and Efficient Supply Chains, Retail Supply Chain, Industrial Supply Chain and Digital Supply Chain Management, Services Supply Chain.
Unit-VII : IT in Management
Use of Computers in Managerial applications; Technology issues and Data processing in organizations; Information systems; MIS and Decision making; System analysis and design; Internet and Internet-based applications;
Unit-VIII : Corporate Strategy and Business Ethics
Concept of Corporate Strategy; Components of Strategy Formulation; Ansoffs Growth Vector; BCG Model; Porter’s Generic Strategies; Competitor Analysis; Strategic Dimensions and Group Mapping; Industry Analysis; Strategies in Industry Evolution, Fragmentation, Maturity, and decline. Competitive strategy and Corporate Strategy; Managing Cultural Diversity; Global Entry Strategies; Globalization of Financial System and Services. Ethical issues in Management; Corporate Social Responsibility; Corporate governance and ethics.
Unit-IX Innovation and Entrepreneurship
Concepts-Types, Characteristics; Motivation; Competencies and its development; Innovation and Entrepreneurship; Small business-Concepts Government policy for promotion of small and tiny enterprises; Process of Business Opportunity Identification Detailed business plan preparation; Managing small enterprises; Planning for growth; Sickness in Small Enterprises; Rehabilitation of Sick Enterprises; Entrepreneurship (Organizational Entrepreneurship) Start-up Ventures
Shree Chanakya Education Society’s Indira Institute of Management, Pune
PERSONAL INTERVIEW ROUND FOR ADMISSION TO Ph.D. (MANAGEMENT)
SAVITRIBAI PHULE PUNE UNIVERSITY (2017-2018)
As per provision of University Circular No. 14/2017 dated 09/01/2017, schedule of personal interview for Ph.D. Admission shall be declared shortly by us on our website http://indiraiimp.edu.in/.
Instructions to the Candidates appearing for the interview:
- Eligible candidates are required to discuss their research interest/area before a duly constituted Selection Committee.
- The following aspects shall be considered during the interview, namely:-
- Whether the candidate possesses the competence for the proposed research;
- Whether the research work can be suitably undertaken at the Institution/College;
- Whether the proposed area of research can contribute to new/additional knowledge.
- The candidate shall produce all the required documents in ORIGINAL as mentioned in Notification dated 24/07/2017 along with one set of photocopy, including online application for M.Phil./Ph.D. PET Entrance Examination 2017-18, at the time of personal interview. Further, following documents duly attested wherever required, as applicable should be produced:
- The candidate shall produce all the required documents in ORIGINAL as mentioned in Notification dated 24/07/2017 along with one set of photocopy, including online application for M.Phil./Ph.D. PET Entrance Examination 2017-18, at the time of personal interview. Further, following documents duly attested wherever required, as applicable should be produced:-
- Original Result of PET Entrance Examination 2017.;
- Photo copy of UGC-NET (Including JRF) / UGC-CSIR NET (Including JRF) /SET / GATE (valid score) Certificate
- Photo copy of M.Phil. Degree Certificate of SPPU.
- Photo copy of Marks/ Statement of Master’s Degree.
- Photo copy of the Caste Certificate in case of Reserved Category Candidates (if applicable).
- Photo copy of the Non – Creamy layer Certificate in case of Reserved Category Candidates (if applicable).
- Photocopy of the Medical Certificate issued by Civil Surgeon in case of Persons with Disabilities (P.H.) candidates (if applicable)
- The candidates shall note the following:
- They shall report at the centre One hour before scheduled time
- They have to appear before the panel on scheduled day and time only. In any circumstances, the late comers will not be allowed and there will not be any “out of turn” chance given to the late comers.
- Candidates can appear for interview only once at the chosen research centre. Appearing for interview at multiple centres shall lead to disqualification of the candidate.
- TA/DA will not be provided to the candidates for attending the interview.
DIRECTOR & HEAD PLACE OF RESEARCH
INDIRA INSTITUTE OF MANAGEMENT, PUNE